Making the Door (Pt 1)

Now that the other two sections of this wall were complete, I began working on the middle section where the door would hang. I started by making a simple square frame that the door was going to fit inside.

I then placed some 3mm MDF on the top of the frame and stood it in place with the other two wall sections to make sure it all fitted together nicely and so that I could check that the door was positioned right in the middle of my existing sliding doors.

Framing up the Door

Now I could get my exact measurements for the position of the opening and put a mark where the top of the sliding door was so I had clearance and the door would swing freely.
There is a slight step up into our lounge room so the door had to be raised, (this was important as it was opening in towards the lounge) and it needed to clear the carpet.

Once I had all my final positioning for the door, I then measured to find the centre to correctly place the first stone in the archway. Remember I was fitting a door to a wall not the other way around.

I know that this sounds like a lot of measuring but trust me, if you don’t get this part right in the beginning, the rest will be a headache to fix later.

Once I was happy with the shape of the arch I cut it out with my jig saw.  So at the moment we have a frame for the door covered with 3mm MDF so we can glue on the foam stone work and a big hole cut out of it for the door.

Now that I had the frame all done it was time to measure up for the door so that it would fit neatly inside the cut out. To make a door is quite simple really.  All it is, is a square joined to a triangle. Thats it, the rest is simply cosmetic.

I wanted the top of the door to be the same shape as the window arches, so I had to slightly modify the shape of the arch to fit with the door. Before we could start on the cosmetics of the door we had to finish of all the stone work around the door frame.

A friend of mine who knew about my project, rang me about this time and said he had some foam left over from a job that he was doing and did I want it? To which I quickly replied YES!

When he brought it over it was exactly what I needed, it was thicker than the rest of the foam that I had and would look great as the columns that were to cover the joins in my sets. It was also what I needed for the stone work around the arch door.

I had googled stone arches and all of the archways were thicker and more pronounced than the stone of the walls so this foam was perfect for what I had in mind.

We started by cutting the thicker foam in the shape of rectangular blocks like stone (all of these were cut the same size) we then roughed  up the edges with a blade, using the heat gun to seal the edges and give the face the look of textured stone. Then we sprayed the edges with grey spray paint to give it that old weathered look.

The way to make anything look real, is to use the same building principles that would be used today. We began by glueing the bottom row of blocks first, then the upright section of the door fame followed by the arch.

Stone work surrounding the Door

For the arch I started by marking the center of the arch and working my way down either side of it until they met up with the pillars, the last blocks needs to be trimmed to fit into place. Finally we finished of the rest of the stone work on the wall around the arch.

Now click here for the exciting part…..

Get our Free Starter Pack!

Signup now and get our floating candle instructions plus our invitiation template.

I will never give away, trade or sell your email address. You can unsubscribe at any time.