Making the Door (Pt 2)

Click the link if you missed part 1 of the door for our Harry Potter Party

I had drawn up a rough sketch of what I wanted the door to look like, I worked out the width of the foam for the door rails and styles and then divided the rest of the space evenly into eight sections, this gave me the  measurements I needed for the foam which was to be the eight raised panels.

The Door Measurements

I started by cutting all the foam for the styles (uprights) and rails (cross pieces) first. That way they were all the same size and having all the pieces at the ready made it easier to work. Next I marked out the center of the door and drew a line form top to bottom.

Tip: Use a straight edge and get your center line perfectly straight as nothing looks worse than lines that are crooked.

I then used the foam that I had cut out for the styles and rails and traced around were they were all going on the MDF. Then it’s just a matter of gluing everything into place, well almost.

I started from bottom right corner and cut the foam on a miter, glued them into place, once the bottom rail was in place I then glued the center piece into place and slowly worked my way around the door until I got to the part of the door were the arch started.

The arch part was a bit challenging as I needed to keep the same width of foam as the rest but curve it around the top of the door. I used the jig that I had made for the windows and moved it around until it matched up with the curve, then I placed the jig onto my piece of foam, traced around it and cut it out.

Now that all the styles and rails were glued into place, I could get the exact measurements for the raised panels

Tip: Measure each panel section separately and cut it as you go, that way they will fit nicely and look professional.

I had worked out from my rough drawing that I needed four panels either side of the center upright, now it was just a matter of measuring, cutting and gluing the two bottom panels, then cutting to length the rails that went between the panels and simply working my way up till the last two panel  at the top as they needed to be shaped to fit into the arched top of the door.

The Door

The door was starting to take shape, however it lacked that old heavy look I was after. So I thought I would try and make some old wrought iron nail heads out of foam. I cut some foam blocks into squares about 40mm x 40mm and then chamfered the edges this gave it the look I was after.

Tip: Don’t use the heat gun to seal the edges on these as you will loose all your detail and sharp defined edges.

After working out how many I needed, I cut them all out and sealed them with watered down glue to give them a little more strength. I also made the center nail heads slightly larger  to give add to that chunky look.

Standing back and looking at it from a distance, it still didn’t look quite ,right. It was missing something. I tried making a center piece for the middle of the door, and this seemed to finish it of nicely, now to start painting it.

The look I was after is that of copper panels and a iron frame. I brought some cheap enamel spray paint, there are hundreds of colors to choose from, we wanted copper, silver, grey and black.

I painted the raised panels first with the copper and then worked on the frame with the a mixture of silver, grey and black. On the foam nail heads I used a brush and painted them with black first, then gave them a slight spray with silver this seemed to work perfectly.

Finally I had the six sections that made up the two walls completed, I just need to cover the joins of the sections with columns as I had planned. I used the foam my friend had given me to make the columns. I simply cut some groves to look like the stones of the column and fitted them in place.

I was really happy with my walls They really looked like they belonged in Hogwarts castle. As I looked around the area where I was going to hold the party I realized that I hadn’t finished.

I had originally planned to disguise the barbecue area by covering it with a black cloth and dressing it with props. But as I looked at the finished walls I realized that this would not do.

The only problem with setting such a high standard is that you have to keep it up in all areas. I would have to cover the barbecue in stone….. @#!$/!^##*@/&$#.

The curse of a perfectionist.

Click here to see how I solved the problem

Get our Free Starter Pack!

Signup now and get our floating candle instructions plus our invitiation template.

I will never give away, trade or sell your email address. You can unsubscribe at any time.